An opportunity to decide the future of our cities
The 10th Metropolis World Congress “Cities in Transition” represented a unique opportunity to exchange and establish contacts among 1000 delegates and urban experts from more than 150 countries around the world.
The event, brought to a close on 26 November 2011 in Porto Alegre, presented various solutions for governance, urban planning, participatory democracy, innovation, the fight against climate change, sustainability, peri-urban agriculture and renewable energies, and set forth the new guidelines for Metropolis for the next years.
Moreover, those in attendance were able to hear the testimonies and recommendations made by diverse cities in different processes of transition. Recognised for the innovative public policies it has adopted, Porto Alegre has become the ideal forum for fostering South-South and North-South decentralised cooperation links.
- Participatory Democracy
- Urban Sustainability
- Renewable energies
- 1000 Registered Delegates
- 156 Global Cities represented by Mayors, Governors and senior officials
- 36 Plenary sessions, workshops, meetings and technical tours
- 150 Leading international and Latin American speakers
- 5 Industry Associations endorsed the Congress
- 34 Leading international and Brazilian partners
- 11 different meeting venues located in downtown Porto Alegre
- 320 print, television, radio and online media articles